Friday, March 20, 2009

Debit and Credit

Debit and credit, retained earnings, accruals, provisions and appropriations. I barely knew those words were part of the English language, but after two days of studying accounting I will undoubtedly be dreaming about all that tonight. If it isn't obvious already: Our accounting exam starts tomorrow morning at 8.00. If you need someone to calculate your return on assets or give you a quick overview of your cashflow situation then I know 90 people that I can do it in their sleep.

Although the exams does add some pressure I like the simplicity of 'just' having to do exams. Instead of having to balance a dozen things at the same time you just have to focus on one thing: The next exam. You can manage your own time and take things in the order and speed that suits you best. For me that has meant two nights of proper sleep. It is amazing what it does to your physical and mental health. I would also claim that you learn better, when your brain gets enough time to shut down and process the inputs.

'The MBA Survivial Guide to Accouting' that we have been given became just that: A guide to my survival. Yesterday I started on page 1 and read through the chapters on Balance Sheets, Profit and Loss Statements, Cash Flow Statements and Financial Statement Analysis that we will be tested in. One by one the things we have learned over the past two and a half months started to click into place. A few exercises on the same subjects and I now feel much more confident than I did just two days ago. Anyway, I better not celebrate too early. There is usually lots of 'red herrings' and other 'tricks' in the tests that are meant to throw us off course.


Yet another sunset picture from the beautiful Lausanne harbor. I took this earlier this week, when I was riding my bike along the lake.

No comments: