Saturday, April 4, 2009

Indonesia

Professor Jean-Pierre Lehmann's classes in Global Political Economy (GPE) has taken us on quite a bit of a world tour. We were around US, China, India, Russia, Africa and the Arab Region before the exams. Yesterday we 'went' to South America with presentations about president Lula in Brazil and Hugo Chavez in Venezuela and a second presentation on the drug trade in the continent. This was spiced up with a presentation of Colombia by our two Colombians, Yadira Sierra and Juan Benitez. It was fascinating to hear the story of a country that to a large degree has freed itself from the hands of kidnapping and corruption and who still is in the process of freeing itself from the drug trade.

Today's GPE 'trip' went to South America in general and to Thailand and Indonesia in particular. I had been looking forward to this as I spent two years Indonesia. The best two years of my life. Indonesia and its people will always have a special meaning to me. I am proud to say that I still have many friends out there that I still stay in touch with. I went back to Indonesia in October last year for the first time since I left four years ago. It was like coming home, home to all the smiles, volcanoes and rice fields.

Today's discussion on Indonesia was centered around the country's transition from dictatorship to democracy. I was in Indonesia during the last elections, so I found it particularly interesting to get the view of the 'outside world' on a situation that I only had experienced first hand.

As you may already have noticed I very quickly get excited, happy and a bit sentimental, when the discussion touches upon Indonesia. I therefore also had to pace myself a bit in the class today. Make sure you have the entire evening available if you ever get me warmed up on the subject. Particularly, if you get me started showing pictures. I couldn't help including a few appetizers below.



My colleagues and friends in the office in Semarang, Indonesia in 2004.


Have you ever seen a new day begin from the top of a volcano? You climb the volcano during the night and then you just sit and wait for the dawn to come. It is a breathtaking experience.
Mount Muria, Central Java, September 2004



The Dutch brought the railroad to Indonesia. In Ambarawa, Central Java, there is still a fully operational steam engine.
November 2004



On a roadtrip with friends. I am the tall one :-)
Bandung, Western Java, February 2005

No comments: