Monday, June 29, 2009

My Little Pueblo

It is past midnight and the air is full of drums, music and fire crackers. The streets are packed with people, some are dancing through the streets, others are watching. I am not in doubt that I have left Switzerland. 'My Little Pueblo' (pueblo = village) as I like to call St. Pere de Ribes (located 30km south of Barcelona) is celebrating its 'Fiesta mayor'. Most towns in Spain have a Fiesta Mayor, which is the celebration of the saint of the town. In the case of St. Pere the saint is Saint Peter.

St. Pere de Ribes is technically too large to qualify as a 'pueblo', but to me it is just that. It is like taken out of a movie; narrow streets and mediterranean style houses, a little square in the middle with a catholic church that rings its bells every 15 minutes. Life happens at a pace here that cannot stress anyone. On top of that I am enjoying the local food and a lot of sleep.

Thorsten

'Castellets' - the human castles - is another Catelonian specialty. The castles I saw them build yesterday were 8 'stories' high, the top level manned by two 6-year old kids. You can see one of them on the way up with a red helmet near the top on the left side.


The 'Collas', which are groups of neighbors and friends, prepare dances with drums and firecrackers. The firecrackers - that look like cigars - are placed on the end of a stick and lit. They spin and spread sparks everywhere before they explode with a large bang.


A dragon spraying fire is another of the local traditions.


Giant dolls dancing is a tradition of Eastern Spain.

No comments: